Microsoft Immersive Reader
Immersive Reader is available with Word Online as well as integrated with Canvas Pages and can improve reading comprehension and increase fluency for English language learners. It can help build confidence for emerging readers learning to read at higher levels and offer text decoding solutions for students with learning differences such as dyslexia. It can read aloud in several languages as well as translate.
(In Outlook email online, right click on Word icon and Open in a new tab)
In Word Online, select View and Immersive Reader.
A new screen will appear with Icons on the right-hand side.
Text Preference Options
- Change the text size
- Increase spacing between lines
- Increase font
- Change background color theme
- Break words down by syllables
- Color code parts of speech and
- Add labels if desired
- Change line focus to highlight 1, 3 or 5 lines of text at a time
- Picture Dictionary feature
- Change language (by word or document)
Highlight an unknown word and see a picture & hear the word pronounced with Picture Dictionary turned on
(Icon at the bottom of the screen) May not read aloud in all languages, but can help with emerging readers or those with dyslexia.
- Change Voice Speed
- Change Voice between Male/Female
Immersive Reader with Canvas
Immersive Reader for Canvas is available for use with Pages!!
How Does Immersive Reader Work in Canvas?
Canvas Pages store educational resources that are plugged into courses or groups. Canvas integrated Immersive Reader into all Canvas Pages content. Students can consume and comprehend those resources regardless of their reading ability.
- Change font size, text spacing, and background color
- Split up words into syllables
- Highlight verbs, nouns, adjectives, and sub-clauses
- Choose between two fonts optimized to help with reading
- Read text aloud
- Change the speed of reading
- Highlight sets of one, three, or five lines for greater focus
- Select a word to see a related picture and hear the word read aloud as many times as necessary