Respondus LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking quizzes in Canvas. It prevents students from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If a Canvas quiz requires that LockDown Browser be used, students will not be able to take the quiz with a standard web browser. LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Canvas quizzes. It should not be used in other areas of Canvas.
ALL TEACHERS AND STUDENTS MUST HAVE LOCKDOWN BROWSER INSTALLED ON THEIR COMPUTERS BY THE TECH DEPARTMENT BEFORE USING.
Attached are the Respondus Instructor Quickstart Guide and the Student Guide
1. Teachers can watch this video to see how Lockdown Browser works.
2. Teachers should include verbiage about Respondus in your course or syllabus.
The sample text below can be used in your course or syllabus. It explains that students must use LockDown Browser for their online tests.
Using LockDown Browser for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser for online exams. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the optional webcam feature (which may be required for some exams).
To take an online test, start LockDown Browser and navigate to the exam. (You won't be able to access the exam with a standard web browser.) For additional details on using LockDown Browser, review the Student Quick Start Guide (PDF)
Finally, when taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
- Select a location where you won't be interrupted
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc. and don't have them within reach
- Clear your area of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted
3. Lockdown browser should be installed by the SMSD tech department. Teachers need to submit a help desk ticket to have added.
4. Teacher and Student QuickStart Guides are attached.